Cosmetic treatments in Bali
Have you ever wondered why your friends returned from Bali looking refreshed and rested? And we don’t mean the kind of refreshed and rested that comes just from lounging by the side of the pool in the glorious Balinese sun. Like Thailand, Bali is starting to become a popular destination for Westerners seeking cosmetic treatments, attracting a new genre of travellers known as medical tourists – those who journey to less developed countries than their own to seek more affordable medical and cosmetic treatments.
There are many retreats in Bali catering towards cosmetic treatments. While the very thought of foreign cosmetic treatments can send fear through the blood of some, if you do your research and learn how to identify any dodgy operators, these retreats are Western-managed, highly reputable and have been operating in Indonesia for a number of years. The majority have partnered with plastic surgeons, facial rejuvenation practitioners, mid-facial, blepharoplasty surgery experts and excellent dental surgeons to enable their clients to enjoy the benefits of procedures they have long dreamed of having, but were beyond their price range in western countries.
Things to consider when receiving cosmetic treatments in Bali
If you decide to go to Bali seeking cosmetic treatment (or any country for that matter), we can’t stress enough how important it is to do your research and be as well as informed as possible before undertaking any procedure. Make sure the hospital, retreat or rejuvenation centre you visit is run by qualified, experienced medical professionals and that it has an honoured reputation with a shining success rate.
Medical experts warn cosmetic travellers to be aware of the increased risk of infection in tropical environments and that you’ll need to foot the bill for any revisions or corrections you may need when you return home. You should also carefully check the terms of your travel insurance policy, as you may not be covered for any further medical attention you may need in Bali as a result of your cosmetic treatment.
There are many different types of cosmetic treatments in Bali, from the surgical to the natural. We’ve provided a detailed list of some of the most popular Balinese cosmetic treatments for visitors to the island.
Cosmetic treatments in Bali: Invasive
- Rhinoplasty– Nose job (plastic surgery procedure for correcting the form)
- Rhytidectomy– Facelift
- Ear Surgery– The treatment of diseases, injuries, or deformations
- Breast augmentation– Reconstructing, or creating the physical form of breasts
- Breast reduction– Decreasing the size of the breasts
- Liposuction– The removal of fat from different sites on the body
- Scar revision– Minimization of scars
Cosmetic treatments in Bali: Non-Invasive
- Blepharoplasty– Eyelid surgery
- Mid face lift– To lift the cheeks and eyes
- Thread lift– Repositioning cheeks, lifting eyebrows, and adjusting brows & face.
- Restylane– Diminishing moderate lines and wrinkles, such as those between the eyebrows
- Botox– Injections to proactively prevent wrinkles from occurring
- Microdermabrasion– Non-abrasive removal of the thicker, uneven outer layer of skin
- Acid fruit peel– Removes the outer layers of skin–the dead, dry skin
- IPL– Intense pulsed light, is used to reduce wrinkles, skin issues and in laser hair removal
- Mesotherapy– Fat dissolving injections
Cosmetic treatments in Bali: Dental treatments
- Laser Teeth whitening– Dramatic teeth whitening
- Professional Home whitening – Teeth whitening kit prescribed by your dentist
- Porcelain veneers– Wafer-thin shells of porcelain which are bonded onto the teeth
- Dental implants– A root device, used to support teeth, to replace missing teeth
- Dental bridges– A bridge, also known as a fixed removable denture
All cosmetic treatments in Bali can normally be performed within the space of a week’s holiday. Typically, on arrival you will have a consultation about the proposed procedure with the doctor, with a view to undergoing your treatment within 72 hours.
Cosmetic treatments in Bali: Balinese style
Not all cosmetic treatments in Bali involve serious medical treatment. Bali is famous for its natural beauty and wellness therapies, with a rich history in the use of massage, herbs and spices to treat a range of ailments and promote general health and wellbeing. No trip to Bali would be complete without lapping up a sumptuous Balinese massage or enjoying the deep relaxation of a Balinese facial using locally grown ingredients. Natural Balinese therapies can provide these essential benefits, an ideal complement to a relaxing holiday:
- Relaxing, both physically and spiritually
- Nutritional education
- Inner balance
- Stress management
- Enhance feelings of tranquillity
- Healing properties
Cosmetic Treatments in Bali: Healing Balinese Herbs and Spices
Indonesia has been famous for its spices for hundreds of years, and while these were originally used for culinary purposes, Balinese herbs and spices are now renowned for maintaining health and beauty. These traditions are handed down from one generation to the next, with visitors to Bali now benefiting from the natural properties offered by these super ingredients:
- Potent leaf
- Betel leaf
- Coconut oil
- Rice powder
- Green tea
- Ylang Ylang
- Coconut sugar
These natural ingredients and several others form the main material of traditional Indonesian cosmetic treatments in Bali. Balinese beauty treatments have become so popular that these ingredients are now found in commercial beauty products – Mustika Ratu and Sari Ayu are just two well-known brands that offer a plethora of traditional herbal recipes.
Many spas have appeared in Bali offering a wide range of health, beauty and spiritual guidance using these traditional Balinese treatments. You can indulge in such blissful treatments as massages, facials, steam baths, body scrubs, cream baths (hair treatments), manicures and pedicures.
I love Bali, the people of Bali, and the ancient traditions that remind me that we are “spiritual beings having a human experience”. Whilst we are experiencing this, it is so wonderful to connect fully into our bodies through massage and holistic therapies that keep us feeling pristine on the inside, which ultimately reflects on the outside.
The best part about using both types of cosmetic treatments in Bali is the inner and outer journey towards beauty. Beauty isn’t just external, but a state of mind – combine the two and you can have it all. Bali is the perfect place to enjoy a cosmetic rejuvenation, pamper yourself internally and externally, reap the health benefits of natural Balinese beauty treatments and begin your spiritual development.